Have you ever heard the story about how wolves changed the course of rivers in Yellowstone National park? If not, pause a moment to watch this video above.
When wolves were introduced in 1995, after being absent for 70 years, the numbers of deer had become out of control. They ate all of the vegetation. When wolves were introduced to reduce the number of deer they turned out to have an even greater impact.
- Deer avoided parts of the park where they could be trapped by wolves. In these areas trees regenerated and became forests.
- Birds began to move into the park.
- Beavers began to increase and build dams.
- These dams increased biodiversity.
- Wolves killed Coyotes and small mammals began to increase.
- Birds of prey increased.
- The number of bears increased.
- The regenerated forests stabilized the soil and erosion patterns, causing the rivers to meander less, narrow their channels and form more pools.
- In short, the wolves changed the rivers.
Positivity Prey
Let's say for a moment that my thoughts and beliefs are the animals within my emotional landscape. Let's say that the forest and vegetation represent my judgement and the soil is my inspiration or motivation. Lastly, lets say the rivers are my energy - or ability to create.
Now lets say I was to focus entirely on positive thinking and optimistic beliefs, in fact let's consider these types of thoughts and beliefs to be my inner deer.
If I only feed the positive thoughts they will eat all of the vegetation, in other words skew my judgement, and the richness of who I am will never fully express itself.
Unfortunately this would limit what I can experience. Reality is not always positive and my reaction to some experiences could be self betrayal if coated with a sliver lining. Some of the things that happen need difficult emotions in order for me to be honest with myself and to change the pattern.
For example; if someone is lying to me I might risk keeping them in my life if I don't call bullshit. I could actually end up lying to myself to avoid the difficult experience of calling bullshit. Or let's say I had a boss that did not respect me. I might continue to work for that type of boss if don't allow myself to get fed up. Being angry about what is going on in life feels valid sometimes. Being depressed feels valid sometimes. Being sad feels valid sometimes. Having a park full of positivity deer is like not allowing my entire self to exist and this feels disempowering. It makes my landscape begin to dull and my rivers (or energy) to meander and erode my soil (inspiration) away, especially if I'm not genuinely feeling positive.
Reintroducing a Predator
Let's say in this example that the wolf represent actions I can take or decisions I can make. A pack of wolves do not need to eat all of the deer. I am not saying that one should eliminate the positivity deer completely. What I am saying is that positivity is not a silver bullet. I am also not saying that one should flood the park with wolves. Remember that simply having wolves had a radical effect on Yellowstone. Place a pack of wolves (the ability to take action or make decisions) into the park and allow them to hunt thoughts or beliefs that do not serve one's highest potential or purpose. Then get super curious about what to hunt today :)
Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
Decisions about what thoughts and beliefs to kill can be difficult but nowhere as difficult as what happens in reality when I do not honor my big bad wolf. If I reject my inner wolf, I no longer see the wolves in my real life. I may even attract them.
Some people are an emotional landscape full of wolves - the opposite of a landscape full of deer. In this example their biodiversity is not only devoid of positivity but also love, compassion, empathy and many of the other important parts of a balanced emotional landscape. Their wolves have fed on everything they have and now they need to feed on others.
To them, I am a delicious deer if Ive suppressed my wolf. Fuck that! (Notice I did not say "Fuck Them". There could be a totally valid reason they are all wolf. Everybody is doing the best they can.)
Some people are an emotional landscape full of wolves - the opposite of a landscape full of deer. In this example their biodiversity is not only devoid of positivity but also love, compassion, empathy and many of the other important parts of a balanced emotional landscape. Their wolves have fed on everything they have and now they need to feed on others.
To them, I am a delicious deer if Ive suppressed my wolf. Fuck that! (Notice I did not say "Fuck Them". There could be a totally valid reason they are all wolf. Everybody is doing the best they can.)
Training the Wolf to Hunt
Deciding where a wolf should reside in the park is the first step. Here are some personal tips:
- Look for where you are triggered by other people.
- Accept the emotions you are feeling as valid and become curious about why they are there.
- Question what thoughts or beliefs fuel the root cause of these emotions within you.
- Begin to hunt those thoughts and beliefs.
- Take action, make a decision - make a kill.
Here are some examples from people I have worked with in the past and one of my own (I won't tell you which is which).
Example 1
- I can't feel happy for people when they talk about what makes them happy.
- I have a hard time feeling happy for others because Im not happy.
- I believe that I have to work really hard in order to feel happy.
- I just noticed that I feel happy when I get up early and nap mid day.
- Im going to do that for myself every day for as long as it makes me happy.
Example 2
- I hate it when people text constantly instead of just picking up the phone and calling me.
- I feel like I'm unheard by the people in my life.
- I believe I have to respond to texts with texts and as often as I get them.
- I just noticed that I enjoyed a great conversation when I ignored someone's text and picked up the phone to call them instead.
- Im going to let texts I receive throughout the week help me decide who I want to call each weekend.
Example 3
- It bothers me when people I know give me things.
- I feel like I am in debt to them.
- I believe strictly in reciprocity.
- I just noticed that if I stand in front of a closed door in public long enough a complete stranger will open it for me.
- Im going to do this all the time to remind myself that accepting kindness from others without imposing an expectation on myself that I give something back is perfectly fine.
Photo from Inspiration Point: 9000 foot elevation: Utah
The Balanced Emotional Landscape
A balanced emotional landscape is chaotic up close but seems beautifully balanced from a distance. It means that from moment to moment one's weather can change, biodiversity is in flux and the landscape is rich with all sorts of thoughts and feelings that don't have to be meddled with.
I like to let it be.
What's happening here is realistic. Allowing thoughts and feelings to run their course is how to become aware of deer migration patterns. One will need to know that for your wolves to feed where intended.
And a pack of wolves will need to feed every day - for as long as you are alive so might as well enjoy the hunt and the kill.
But hey, having a small pack of wolves in the park'l do.
"The Secret"here, is not to focus only on the positive. "The Secret" is to hunt the thoughts and beliefs that do not serve you, to kill them and then to do something without that limitation afterwards.
Cam
- Authenticity
- Honor All of Who You Are
- 'Self disrupt' & Do Epic Shit
No comments:
Post a Comment